You will live and volunteer with a team of international volunteers in an effort to conserve and protect one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in Greece which is the beautiful Bay of Lakonikos in the southern Peloponnese where you will be based.
The team will engage in daily morning surveys to record nesting activity and protect turtle nests against predation by mammals and inundation by sea water. Volunteers will also provide important conservation information to overseas visitors and the local community.
- Patrolling the beach to locate new tracks and nest
- Recording data and measurements
- Installing protective nest grids
- Nest relocation (if required)
- Nest excavation (from August onwards)
- Bamboo harvesting – assembling nest grids
- Manning beach kiosk – educating public about the project
- Public awareness presentations – conducted at campsites/hotels in the local area